Friday, August 6, 2010

Holiday Challenge Update #1

A few more details on my Holiday Challenge:

I’m not counting the cost of stamps that I use to mail OUT things (like for refunds or mail in gift-with-purchase), but I will count in my total the cost of any shipping from an online site or catalog. I usually count shipping as part of the cost of a purchase anyway, so I won’t change my internal accounting for the challenge.

For Diwali, the gifts that I plan to give are new clothes for each of a 2 year old girl, 6 year old boy, my husband and I. The kids will also receive toys and other goodies.

For Christmas, I plan to give stocking stuffers for a 2 year old girl, 6 year old boy, my husband and I; plus stocking stuffers for three of my husband’s cousins (2 guys, 1 gal) whom we will be meeting on a holiday trip (shh – don’t tell them about their presents – it’s a surprise.) Also two secret Santa gifts (adults) and 10 teacher gifts (these have already been taken care of since I hit the 90% off clearance sale at Bath & Body Works last January – price tags still on, so I’ll calculate the cost of these). Plus my mommies group sponsors a needy family every holiday – we all pitch in a little bit of money for items on the family’s wish list, and I always put together some little gifts for each member of the family too. This is the tricky one to plan in advance – we don’t know until a few weeks before the holiday the composition of the family, so there could be kids from baby age all the way through high school. For the challenge, I won’t count the monetary gift but I will count the cost of the “extras” that I give.

I’m off to a pretty good start already, I think. Here’s what I have so far:

How are you doing so far?

3 comments:

  1. One more for today - free 2 oz. Dark Kiss body lotion from Bath & Body Works, no purchase necessary -- http://bbw.imageg.net/graphics/media/bbw/2010/fb/fb_DarkKiss_exclusive2.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found a set of three Wonderpets figures for $1 at a yard sale for my 2 year old. A discount store near my office had the same set of toys for $6.99.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more item for the two year old -- I received a Dora coloring book for free today in Times Square, as part of a promotion for the "Dora's Birthday" tv show. My 2 year old ADORES Diego and likes Dora, since she's often with Diego, so I think she'll like this.

    ReplyDelete